1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking News: SRK detained for questioning at US airport

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by sheruka, Aug 14, 2009.

1. darina4srk

darina4srk SRKManiac

Re: Breaking News: SRK detained for questioning at US airport::eek:

Detaining SRK at US airport not justified: Ambika Soni

August 15th, 2009 - 2:30 pm ICT by IANS

New Delhi, Aug 15 (IANS) Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni Saturday reacted angrily to Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan being detained at a US airport, saying it was not justified.

“I don’t think that this manner of detaining the name of religion is justified. But in the United States of America several examples have surfaced where frisking takes place more than required, according to us,” Soni, who was the tourism minister in the previous government, told reporters here.

“I have always felt - even when I was frisked there - that the way they frisk us we should do the same for them here,” she added.

Khan was detained for two hours at the Newark airport after US immigration officials spotted the ‘Khan’ in his name, his aide said.

Shah Rukh was on his way to Chicago to attend a function to mark India’s Independence Day.

“He was detained because his surname is Khan. He was kept until officials from the Indian embassy intervened. Now he has been released,” Niloufer Qureshi, Shah Rukh’s manager, told IANS over telephone from Mumbai.

In April, former president A.P.J. Kalam was also frisked at the Indira Gandhi International Airport here as he was boarding a flight of US carrier Continental Airlines.

The incident had created waves in parliament in July, with MPs from across the spectrum expressing outrage over Kalam being reportedly subjected to a full body check and even asked to remove his footwear as he waited on the aerobridge to board the Newark-bound flight.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal...port-not-justified-ambika-soni_100232857.html

2. darina4srk

darina4srk SRKManiac

Re: AW: Re: Breaking News: SRK detained for questioning at US airport::eek:

I know! He really cares about the others too. Aww, Shah Rukh. :hug: :kiss:
    But I'm really glad that you're finally released.

3. phul

phul SRK my heart my soul

AW: Re: AW: Re: Breaking News: SRK detained for questioning at US airport::eek:

Yes me too.:hug: thanks God you are free now. But it is so sad that the officers there has the right to detain peopel because their Names or from where they come.That is not fair not all popel who are Muslims or come from Asia are terorists.they are so focoused on this that they don't look after the poepel wich they never would belive that they are bad and such poepel will be then the true terorists. :( I feel bad for the poepel in the room too.

4. sheruka

sheruka SRK forever

he is on indian channeles over the phone now, he sound cool and calm as always trying to make the situation lighter:) then he sounds upset too.

5. darina4srk

darina4srk SRKManiac

Which channel??? I hope there will be videos for the conversation!

6. phul

AW: Breaking News: SRK detained for questioning at US airport::eek:

Where Shereen on wich chanel he is?

7. phul

8. starstuff

starstuff Well-Known Member

I don't even know how to respond to this foolishness.

Outraged is definitely my first response. I mean Shah Rukh's been invited for an Indian Independence Day function for goodness sake's and then he's detained. It's like inviting a friend over but then not letting them in the door until you've checked all their luggage. How violated would you feel?

I hate the level of mistrust that has permeated our world and how we look for ulterior motives behind the simplest of actions or words. I'm sick of it. Just sick of it. Why can't we take anyone at face value anymore? It's so distressing.

Of course, as Anke pointed out, our Shah Rukh reacts with compassion for the others also in the room, who b/c they weren't well known identities would be subjected to longer detention,

but still, right now, I'm just plain angry. Shah Rukh you shouldn't have to put up with this. In fact, no-one should have to put up with this. What on earth is our world turning into? :(

And I'm not even going to comment on the irony of this situation which is obvious to all SR fans who know about his up-coming film, My Name Is Khan, b/c if we were to seriously think about it we might be tempted to think it's a publicity stunt b/c it ties in with the message of the film so perfectly. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :frusty::frusty:

9. phul

Oh the Interwiev is finsh now.
    He has sound so calm down oh Shah Rukh :hug::hug:
    Ps thank you Shereen for informing us. :hug:

10. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

:hurt: :hurt: :hurt:

11. Chamz

Chamz Well-Known Member

I really don't know how to react. :( I saw him talking to NDTV eventhough he tries to make the situation more lighter he seems to be really upset.

12. phul

I have seen only the last few minutes of the interview he has sound calm down but i have the feeling he is upset too. That is so sad that this all is happen. :( He is the wonderfulst human being on earth and then such a thing happen to him. And when i think on all the peopel wich are still sit in this room :(

13. Chamz

Chamz Well-Known Member

Re: AW: Breaking News: SRK detained for questioning at US airport::eek:

Even Karan said he talked with SRK early in the morning and Shahrukh was upset

14. darina4srk

darina4srk SRKManiac

I feel terrible for SRK: Karan Johar

TNN 15 August 2009, 01:21pm IST

“I’m shocked and upset...feeling terrible for Shah Rukh,” said Karan Johar, after his friend actor Shah Rukh Khan was detained at a US airport for having the last name ‘Khan’.

In an earlier twitter post, he wrote on Independence Day, “Freedom...underrated...often misused...and always taken for granted...respect it and honour it...today and forever!”

Meanwhile, Shah Rukh told a channel, “The US has developed religious paranoia over the years. My guard was also denied a visa because he has the same last name as mine." The actor was also told that he couldn't use his phone.

Shah Rukh was detained for over two hours at the Newark airport, New Jersey. He was released after Indian embassy officials vouched for him. He was in the US to attend Independence Day celebrations.

The star, who is currently filming for My Name is Khan, underwent "humiliating" questioning even as he told authorities he was an Indian celebrity. His bodyguards were also grilled.

Several Bollywood celebs are in the US for I-Day celebrations, including Katrina Kaif, Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...e-for-SRK-Karan-Johar/articleshow/4896469.cms

15. darina4srk

darina4srk SRKManiac

Shahrukh Khan incident has lowered image of US security establishment, says ex-envoy to US

August 15th, 2009 - 3:26 pm ICT by ANI

By Naveen Kapoor

New Delhi, Aug.15 (ANI): India’s former ambassador to the United States Naresh Chandra on Saturday said that the detention of Bollywood superstar Shahrukh Khan at Newark International Airport for two hours, clearly exhibited the “ham-handed” approach of American security agencies.

He told ANI over phone that a formal complaint about this harassment should be reported to the US State Department.

Reacting to the incident, Ambassador Chandra said: ” The authorities should have taken maximum 10 -15 minutes for questioning Shahrukh, but it took two hours. It is great incompetence and has lowered the image of (US) Homeland Security”.

Sources said that Khan was indeed detained at the US airport and questioned for two hours. They said he was released only after Indian Officials intervened.

Sources here said that the Consulate General of New York was in touch with Shahrukh Khan and the matter has been taken up with the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi.

According to sources, the Indian consulate could register a formal complaint against the security agencies involved in this “embarrassing” incident.

Some experts said that a formal complaint should be sent to the US envoy in Delhi.

Chandra, however, said that making it a big diplomatic issue would be counterproductive because the incident had nothing to do with US policy, but was the handiwork of lowly officers deployed at the airport. (ANI)

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal...ablishment-says-ex-envoy-to-us_100232886.html

16. roopesh1986

roopesh1986 KiNG KhAn Fanatic

Detaining SRK at US airport not justified: Ambika Soni

IANS 15 August 2009, 01:32pm IST

NEW DELHI: Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni Saturday reacted angrily to Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan being detained at a US
    airport, saying it was not justified.
    "I don't think that this manner of detaining the name of religion is justified. But in the United States of America several examples have surfaced where frisking takes place more than required, according to us," Soni, who was the tourism minister in the previous government, told reporters here.

"I have always felt - even when I was frisked there - that the way they frisk us we should do the same for them here," she added.

Khan was detained for two hours at the Newark airport after US immigration officials spotted the 'Khan' in his name, his aide said.

Shah Rukh was on his way to Chicago to attend a function to mark India's Independence Day. "He was detained because his surname is Khan. He was kept until officials from the Indian embassy intervened. Now he has been released," Niloufer Qureshi, Shah Rukh's manager, said over telephone from Mumbai.

In April, former president APJ Kalam was also frisked at the Indira Gandhi International Airport here as he was boarding a flight of US carrier Continental Airlines.

The incident had created waves in parliament in July, with MPs from across the spectrum expressing outrage over Kalam being reportedly subjected to a full body check and even asked to remove his footwear as he waited on the aerobridge to board the Newark-bound flight

http://http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news/india/Detaining-SRK-at-US-airport-not-justified-Ambika-Soni-/articleshow/4896511.cms

17. mj1984

mj1984 Active Member

i really feel that it is becoming related to religion more than security. if it is abt security just check everybody for 2 hrs, but why single out somebody on the basis of names and surnames. i guess that idiot officer had his own personal agenda.

18. phul

I don’t wish to participate in US’ religious paranoia: SRK
    Updated on Saturday, August 15, 2009, 14:04 IST
    Spicezee Bureau

New Jersey: Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, who was detained for as long as two hours early on Saturday at the Newark airport in the US, thanks to his surname ‘Khan’, has reacted strongly to the episode calling it ‘uncalled for’.

Speaking exclusively to Zee News about the incident that has left him deeply saddened, Shah Rukh said, “I am devoid; it hurts your self respect. I don’t want to make an ego issue out of it but I think I would avoid coming to this place now.”

Further elaborating on the episode, Shah Rukh said, “I was made to answer silly questions which had no relation with a legal and a general interrogation. They didn’t let me use my phone for an hour. I was travelling alone as the US consulate hadn’t allowed a visa to my bodyguard who coincidentally has the same name. As it is I am quite reluctant in coming to the US and I would make sure that I avoid it in the future.”

When asked what he had to say about Ambika Soni’s statement on the issue where she had called for frisking laws to be made stringent for foreigners in India, “the way they are in US”, the actor said in a lighter vein, “Yes, perhaps that way you can frisk and grill Angelina Jolie too.”

“This has happened with me before and that’s why it concerns me all the more. As it is I shy away from coming to the US because I don’t want to participate in their paranoia about religion and everything that the US has developed into over the years. I don’t want to say that it happened because I am a Muslim as it may lead to something else, but I think it had something to do with that only. We can only avoid this by not coming to the US,” added Shah Rukh.

Suggesting what can be done to avoid such embarrassments, the actor said, “I guess they need to modify the system. I am sure they can do much better than this, being the advanced country America is.”

The actor ended up by saying, “This particular episode makes me appreciate our independence one million times more. I need an incident like this to strengthen my faith in God further. I am looking forward to coming back to my country.”

http://www.zeenews.com/news555566.html#

19. roopesh1986

roopesh1986 KiNG KhAn Fanatic

India takes up Shahrukh case with US

Saturday, August 15, 2009 13:59 IST

New Delhi: With Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan being detained and questioned at Newark airport, India today took up the issue with the US Embassy here which said it was ascertaining details about the incident involving the "global icon" who was welcome to America.

"The matter was taken up with the US Embassy," External Affairs Ministry spokesman Vishnu Prakash said soon after the reports about detention of the actor reached here. He said the Embassy was ascertaining factual details of the incident.

Consul General of India in New York is in touch with Khan, Prakash added. US Ambassador to India Timothy J Roemer issued a separate statement, saying "We are trying to ascertain the facts of the case--to understand what took place."

Describing Shahrukh Khan as a "global icon", Roemer said "he is a very welcome guest in the United States. Many Americans love his films."

http:/http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_india-takes-up-shahrukh-case-with-us_1282621/

20. darina4srk

darina4srk SRKManiac

I don’t wish to participate in US’ religious paranoia: SRK

Spicezee Bureau

New Jersey: Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, who was detained for as long as two hours early on Saturday at the Newark airport in the US, thanks to his surname ‘Khan’, has reacted strongly to the episode calling it ‘uncalled for’.

Speaking exclusively to Zee News about the incident that has left him deeply saddened, Shah Rukh said, “I am devoid; it hurts your self respect. I don’t want to make an ego issue out of it but I think I would avoid coming to this place now.”

[​IMG] Further elaborating on the episode, Shah Rukh said, “I was made to answer silly questions which had no relation with a legal and a general interrogation. They didn’t let me use my phone for an hour. I was travelling alone as the US consulate hadn’t allowed a visa to my bodyguard who coincidentally has the same name. As it is I am quite reluctant in coming to the US and I would make sure that I avoid it in the future.”

When asked what he had to say about Ambika Soni’s statement on the issue where she had called for frisking laws to be made stringent for foreigners in India, “the way they are in US”, the actor said in a lighter vein, “Yes, perhaps that way you can frisk and grill Angelina Jolie too.”

“This has happened with me before and that’s why it concerns me all the more. As it is I shy away from coming to the US because I don’t want to participate in their paranoia about religion and everything that the US has developed into over the years. I don’t want to say that it happened because I am a Muslim as it may lead to something else, but I think it had something to do with that only. We can only avoid this by not coming to the US,” added Shah Rukh.

Suggesting what can be done to avoid such embarrassments, the actor said, “I guess they need to modify the system. I am sure they can do much better than this, being the advanced country America is.”

The actor ended up by saying, “This particular episode makes me appreciate our independence one million times more. I need an incident like this to strengthen my faith in God further. I am looking forward to coming back to my country.”

http://www.zeenews.com/news555566.html