1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Boxofficecapsule.com

Discussion in 'Don2 Media Reviews' started by mumbiene, Dec 22, 2011.

1. mumbiene

mumbiene Well-Known Member

Review: DON 2 is Hell Of A Ride
    [​IMG]
    View Image in Large Size
    22nd Dec, 5 am IST(John Wilkinson from London, National Film & Television School UK alumnus)

Watching cinema is metaphysical experience and bollywood may not be soul stirring but it is always full of hope and pure entertainment. I was in theatre couple of hours before without much expectation as I didn’t have pleasant experience with my last few outings (’Ra.One’, ’Bodyguard’ and few more musicals). You must be wondering why couple hours before- just to get soaked in atmosphere as the crowd was there since morning almost 6 hours before show. Shahrukh Khan is a big name here but frankly he failed to impress me at more than one occasion in past with his mushy mushy roles (exception being ‘Chak De India’ and ‘Swades’).

Ok, lets come straight to the point! There are films which are good or bad but this is not one of those. It was really different, believe me. From outset, it was clear that this is hell of a roller coaster ride and director meant business, I mean serious business here. Beginning was sleek and film takes its own pace and takes no time to settle down. It just keeps moving on brisk pace with unexpected twist and turns on regular intervals (I have been told by our editor that it will be releasing n India on Friday only so avoiding too many spoilers).

First half was amazing and quite cool (first half man, what I am writing, you know that we don’t have this first half and second half thing). But I was blown away by second half and believe me, this will go down as one of the prime reasons to make this blockbuster as I had been told in past that Indian films go off the track post interval.

In terms of performance Shahrukh Khan is mean and he left his own stamp on the character. This is his one of the best performances and will be liked by one and all. He looks cool and utters all typical bollywood heavy dialogues with right amount of punch and his range of expressions is unbelievable in this one. Boman Irani stands out as performer and sure to win many claps with his bravura act. Only disappointment comes in the form of Priyanka Chopra (Oh man, I love this lady with killer looks!) as she looks jaded and kind of monotonous throughout her act. Nawab Shah as Jabbar is one more scene stealer and will be seen often in future. (Spoiler Alert) Indian star Hrithik Roshan has brief appearance of 5 minutes and its worth it. And director should be praised for this that this guest appearance does not break the flow of the script.

But for me the best part was the absence of songs in the movie. Movie has only one song and one in end credit. The one in the end ‘Dushman Mera’ can be missed by audience as there is a little gap before it starts with end credits so better you have patience if you don’t want to miss it.

Background score is stupendous and so is cinematography. By far this is the most stylish and sleek film from bollywood. But writing is the second lead after Shahrukh Khan, and it is stupendous. Every character has shades of grey and nobody is caricature or painted in extreme. Things look natural on screen and there are at least 10 moments in script where you feel like clapping and jumping out of your seat. 3D effects are ok types but not really impressive. The film is full of high octane action sequences and dialogues (especially one liner man) are icing on the cake.

Film deserves a repeat watch and will be one of the biggest blockbusters all over. Take a bow Mr. Director for such a restrained and intelligent product which suits today’s sensibilities. And yes, now I will wait to watch more of SRK (I suppose that’s way people call him there) as he redeems himself big time.

Rating 4/5

http://www.khyatientertainment.com/boxofficecapsule/breaking-news.aspx?news_id=50

2. semsem008

semsem008 Well-Known Member

this is the best review i read till now... as if the others reviews are taking portions from it

thank you

3. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

see.. those non-Indians actually know how to write a review.. too bad, i wish Indians acted this way towards SRK..

4. Karan#1

Karan#1 Well-Known Member

EXACTLY! Indian critics should be applauding efforts such as ra.one and don 2 which try to take bollywood forward but some don't and if they're being praised internationally then why not in India as well? Which leads me to say question why a movie like my name is khan which was loved overseas wasn't as appreciated in India.

5. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

i know yaar! a stupid movie was released in that same year got all the hype but not MNIK which had a GOOD msg! and then they complain that SRK cant act or his movies are this or that.. but when he do things they want, they totally go against him :loco: i'm glad now he is doing movies the way HE wants!

SRKfanforever and Karan#1 thank this.
  6. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

Nice to read such a great review that really gives the film its due! And this from a critic who admits not being SRK fan. THIS is professionally written review. Indian critics, please learn something from this!