Books that Shahrukh has read.. well some of them!

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Book Club' started by prilvsrk, May 22, 2009.

1. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

hey guys... i was wondering if we could make a list of the books tht shahrukh has mentioned in his interviews tht he's read. i always try and find his recommendations and actually like them :) if we could compile a comprehensive list.. we could have a book club or smth going! :D:D

i read "Curious Incident of a Dog in the Nighttime" where the protagonist has Aspergers, so i'm looking forward to mnik to see the similarities:)

i knw he loves "Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy" and i liked the book AND the movie as well!

i just got "Daemon" from the library and am looking forward to starting it today!

he's also bought the rights to Anjum Chopra's "Zoya Factor" that i've got but haven't started as yet.

i also remember him mentioning "The Idiot" by Dostevyesky that he had read and acted in during this theater days. i read that one as well which was a hard read but quite interesting.

anything else you guys remember would be very helpful!! :thumb:

Jasmine says thanks.

Dear guest,

PlanetSRK is one of the largest ShahRukh Khan communities in the world.
    Please support us by registering for free!
    Just click the signup button at the top!

Thanks,

PlanetSRK Staff

3. Kalee

Kalee I love you Shah Rukh. Staff Member

Conversations with God
    Digital Fortress (not totally sure)
    Da Vinci code
    Chancers (a fiction about an actor who doesn't know what to do in his profession because he's been out of work for the last five years)
    Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps
    The Bridges of Madison County
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
    A book on the religion of Kabbalah (no specific title mentioned)
    Life of Pi (I think)
    I’m pretty sure he’s also read a book on the history of Russia (or was that a book about Hitler and I wanted to read a book about Russia?:noidea::p)
    Science textbooks to teach his kids :p

Jasmine says thanks.
  4. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

oh yeh.. thank kalee!! :kiss::hug:
    i loved life of pi, digital fortress and da vinci code.
    i need to get catch 22 since he spoke about it sooooooo much during rab ne!

5. Kalee

Kalee I love you Shah Rukh. Staff Member

You're most welcome yaar!:hug::kiss:

What I love is that I put those on my reading list two summers ago and still haven't gotten around to them.:):pound: So I'm just going to use my totally valid excuse and say it's because I was too busy reading my fat science textbooks!:p

6. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

hahaha.. yes.. tht IS a valid reason! i usually end up reading during my commute to work! :thumb: tht's the only time i get!

7. Ella

Ella Haan farishtey hote hain ♥

AW: Books that Shahrukh has read.. well some of them!

He really read this book? This one is so cool and funny. Great stuff :D:D

This is a great idea Pri :thumb::thumb:

8. shallu.

shallu. Well-Known Member

I like this thread!

I'm currently having my summer vacation and being a lit major, I'm always making excuses that I'm taking vacation off BOOKS. Haha! But yeah, I would like to check out some of the list of books here! Thanksss! :)

shallu.

9. Becy

Becy Well-Known Member

Hitchhiker's Guide through the Galaxy is hilarious, love the part with the towel. :pound:
    I didn't like The Bridges of Madison County, though. The film is marvellous, stunningly beautiful, whereas the book is quite kitschy and full of brand names, which I can't stand ("he pulled out his Nikon", "smoked a Camel"...:rolleyes:)

Dostoevsky is always worth a read, although it can be quite a task. :D What a pity he doesn't seem to read South American literature (at least he has never mentioned it), I just love it. :)

10. nadee_7

nadee_7 Active Member

omg FROM WHERE DO YOU KNOW THIS MUCH??
    awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb::thumb:

11. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

Thank you so much Pri for this thread! :hug: I think it's a really wonderful idea. I'm quite a book lover myself, and I'm sure many of us are. It's also a known fact that Shahrukh loves reading, so I for one, when ever I hear him talk about some books, I want to find out more about them...

I have been reading particularly this year many of the books mentioned here (and of course some of them I had already read before)... I really enjoied Life of Pi, and while reading it, I remembered all the time he had said he wnated to make a film of that book, so I kept trying to picture the book as a film... I also have Daemon from the library, but I probably won't get down to actually reading it (LOL) because it's in english, as it hasn't been translated to finnish yet, and I always prefer to read books in finnish (you can relate to them better)...

Anyway, my point is (after talking too much about not what I was supposed to), that this is a very interesting thread, and I hope everyone who remembers him speaking about any books will post it here...

First one that hasn't been mentioned, that comes to my mind now is the Artemis Fowl series... Well, he only mentioned one Artemis book, I think it was the Timearadox, but as it's a continuing series, I'm assuming he has read the previous parts as well... And yes, as soon as he mentioned that, I chose Artemis Fowl as my next "bus book" (books that I read on the bus)... :D It's been quite fun, although they are so clearly children's books, but that's what makes them perfect bus books... :D

Another series I remember him mentioning somewhere is Harry Potter...

And this is an obvious one, but I didn't see it mentioned here, so Q & A by Vikas Swarup (the book they based Slumdog millionare on).

Please keep updating people, if anything comes to your mind...

Jasmine says thanks.
  12. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

thanks everyone for contributing.. katja i do remember now tht he mentioned artemis fowl... but they're soooo science fictiony... and im not into it :(

i knw he's read the whole fatherhood series by bill cosby... but i think i'll give tht one a pass... hahaha :lol:

QnA is a good one.. i read tht one and loved it :)

i thik he mentioned shantaram somewhere as well... and that is one book tht i absolutely LOVED!!!!!!!!!!! it was some 900 odd pages.. but ABSOLUTELY worth it... just fantastic!! :thumb:

Jasmine says thanks.
  13. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

:jaw:
    u guys have no idea since when i've been meaning to ask u guys abt this!
    i'm also a hard core reader and i read a lot, mostly during summer vacations, and i've always wanted to read what Shahrukh has! though i'm sure he has read wagons of books!
    i've always thought, that, if i'd get the chance to meet him one day i'd ask him about what he's read and what he advices youngsters to read
    so this is a great thread :heart: keep them coming if u remember any mentioned by him!

14. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

sounds fun! i don't know if i really want to read the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy though..its not my genre

15. maira

maira SRK-fanatic

i started reading some of books he has read and recommended...:)...he has a greatt taste in terms of reading..:rockon:...(as with everything else..;)).... i haven't been able to read many though,..and will hopefully carry on reading them right after i graduate...:D... so thank you soo much you guyss for listing the books he has read..:thumb:..it makes my life easier so i dont have to do too much research..;)...

16. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Thank you for this thread. Great minds think alike!!!!! I had the same question and was going post it at some point, but had not gotten around to it. I have so many books by my bed and I struggle get to them because of my watching Hindi films. I work on my language skills through the films, especially you-know-who! I have been interested in 3 Idiots and think that I will get that one first.

17. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

oh and i rly liked the movie The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy :lol: i saw it a long time ago lol it's hilarious

18. cmreeves

cmreeves Well-Known Member

At some point he mentioned in an interview that he'd just finished a book on Genghis Khan. Didn't mention the title, but it was a more balanced view of the guy. I remember this because I had just finished reading Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World. No idea if it was the same book or not.

Jasmine says thanks.
  19. Rajshri

Rajshri Administrative Duties Staff Member

Ooooooooooooooowh thank you so much for opening this thread!!!!!! I was actuallly looking for a thread like this last week when I had free book-coupons!!!! :p I already spent them now though.. Damn it! :doh: :lol: I'm still going to read these though :D

I loved Bridges of Madison County :heart: It was such a beautiful, sad love story. There was so much passion between the 2 characters! :heart: I kept imagining Shah Rukh as Robert :eek::p

Of course The Da Vinci Code rocked too! :thumb::p

20. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

I never saw it because the film had an R rating here for adult content. I think if Shah Rukh were in it, I just might see it! Could they remake it in Bollywood?

21. Becy

Becy Well-Known Member

As mentioned in several interviews, he has read Slumdog Millionaire by Vikas Swarup. Also books by Paulo Coelho, there's been a kind of reference to it in OSO.

Jasmine says thanks.