1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Bombay Talkies

Discussion in 'Movies A-G' started by Mara, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

Since things are slow after HNY, I’ll dare to post this.
    I watched “Bombay Talkies” first at the Los Angeles Indian Film Festival and wrote this review, but hesitated to post it because some people might find the gay romance short offensive. Now the movie is on Netflix. The movie is four different shorts by four different directors, united by their love of Hindi cinema. Although SRK himself only makes a quick guest appearance in person at the end, his spirit and that of Hindi cinema is everywhere throughout the movie, or at least it seemed so to me. We've talked on PlanetSRK about how we often imagine SRK as the hero in the movies we watch, so I’m possibly doing a major projection fantasy on this movie. Let me apologize in advance and stand open to correction. You're welcome to see the movie with a different perspective entirely, or choose not to watch it at all.

Warning: Spoilers ahead….

We've all probably seen the final song on YouTube. It starts with a long, boring shot of Aamir, followed by a train of quick cuts of various Bollywood stars. When SRK finally appears at the end, spreading his arms with his famous dimpled smile, I swear, the whole theater gasped in unison as if with one breath. The sudden burst of excitement was obvious and palpable. Several people shouted their enthusiasm and clapped- so unlike the silent, critical film audiences in the other films at the Festival.

One short was of a little boy who wants to become a movie dancer like Katrina Kaif, much to the horror of his father. I could see SRK as being that little boy as a child. In King of Bollywood, Chopra describes how SRK used to dress up and do famous actor/actress imitations, dancing to songs on the radio. At first this was just for friends and family. But he was so skilled; teachers would invite him on stage to perform at school functions. SRK and his friends would rig up a makeshift stage on the veranda, with SRK being the writer, director, and lead of their performances, just like the child in “Bombay Talkies”. Yes, billions of children do this all the time. SRK never stopped and has made all our lives a happier place.

Another short was of a father (Nawazuddin Siddiqui) who is an ex-actor struggling to support his family. He is deeply bonded to his sick daughter and the focus of his life is to entertain her with movie stories. He gets a small part in a movie, performs skillfully, and his only thought after the shoot is to rush home and tell her about it. I could see father SRK and his loving relationship to Suhana throughout this segment.

Karan Johar’s short is particularly open to controversy. Was it inspired by his relationship with SRK and Gauri? Is it just how he wishes his relationship with SRK would be? Or is it complete imagination? It’s about Avinash, a young, gay man (the actor even looks like a young KJo) who becomes close friends with Gayatri (Gauri?), the wife of Dev, a nationally famous television news anchor. Gayatri and Dev live in a large Mannat style house overlooking the ocean. She invites Avinash home for a birthday dinner. He meets her husband and the two men bond over a shared love of old Hindi movies and movie songs. Dev spends hours in his music/movie room alone and lonely. Avinash falls deeply in love with Dev, while Dev struggles with his attraction to Avinash and his growing coolness in affection toward his wife. Avinash decides Dev is gay and is only too happy to make advances to him. Dev beats up Avinash, kisses him passionately, then beats him up again. (KJo really has changed Hindi filmy romance here.) Avinash rushes to brag about the kiss to Gayatri. Gayatri also decides Dev is gay and that is why their relationship isn't working. She can stop blaming herself and is happy to be free of her marriage. Dev is left sad and alone to contemplate the supposed “lie” of his life.
    It was first announced that SRK was going to star in KJo’s short, but I can see why SRK refused it. If SRK is anywhere near the inspiration for the character KJo has created as Dev, I would like to believe KJo’s psychological projections about SRK are almost as bad as mine. Still, it’s a touching story of forbidden and ultimately futile love “that cannot speak its name”.

“Bombay Talkies” is one of the better movies of 2013. I’m surprised it has won no awards, and lost the one nomination it had: Best Child Artist -Naman Jain as the little boy. Although SRK only appears briefly at the end, it’s possible to see his influence present throughout the movie.

“By giving a character something to hide — a secret — we create the illusion of depth: interior and exterior, seen and unseen.” David Corbett

2. Karan#1

Karan#1 Well-Known Member

KJo sees SRK as a brother so I'm not sure where you got that from. I think you're trying to find a connection to SRK when there likely is none.

He might never have been offered it and he would already have been busy with other films to do it regardless of what it was about.

Mara says thanks.
  3. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

i love Karan and i still couldn't get myself to watch Bombay Talkies. i don't know why. i could watch Dostana and i loved it (which he's only produced) and there's a lot of gay references (hell, the whole movie is based on that) but it didn't bother me. not to be rude or anything but i'm a little sensitive when it comes to homosexuality. i don't know why, i don't have anything against gays in particular i just wish to not know abt them lol. i feel like Karan is really pushing it with this whole gay thing. he hasn't declined the rumours, he has never been in a long term relationship, his friendship with Maneesh and Shahrukh has been speculated and he isn't rushing to clear the air.. but i never thought him to be gay. i don't know why, i just don't get this vibe from him. i might be wrong, everything and everyone says otherwise but eh.

now, regarding the issue u've tackled Mara, i think this supposed relationship Karan wishes to have with Shahrukh is nonsense. yes, the situation is very similar EXCEPT that in the film the guy didn't know his friend's husband, whereas in real life, Karan only knew Gauri after he had worked with Shahrukh. correct me if i'm wrong but it's totally idiotic to become best friends with ur crush's wife :rofl: he's totally fond of his children as well. i think Karan is just very media savy. he knows that this controversy sells, and he uses this gay thing to his advantage, especially bringing the subject up in many of his movies. he even made Shahrukh kiss a man now what more do ppl want :rofl:

so i really don't think Karan sees Shahrukh any other way than as an older brother, family. and i really don't think he's gay. but that may be just because i've a crush on him so i might be biased :rofl:
    oh and this reminds me of a picture i found on tumblr the other day that cracked me up lol:
    http://koffeewithkaranbitches.tumbl...whos-the-perfect-match-for-karan-he-said-that

:rofl:

Mara says thanks.
  4. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

I really liked Bombay Talkies and my absolute favourite part was Zoya Akhtar's clip, the one about the little boy who wanted to be a dancer. It was sooo sweet.

Before watching the film (quite recently) I had only heard about Karan's clip and didn't know what any of the others were about. But now I find it was almost the weekest one of the four parts. I mean story, direction and acting. I absolutely believe Karan is gay, but that doesn't mean he has to have a crush on Shahrukh. If he thinks of SRK as a brother that means he can't think of him in some other way. And I never thought while watching it that it would somehow be related to SRK. IF Karan had first asked SRK to play the role, that was because he usually asks SRK first.

And I just love the ending song!!

Mara says thanks.
  5. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

When I was googling for more info on the film I found this. It's supposed to be from Hindustan Times, I think:
    "Producer Viacom 18 claims that Shah Rukh is the central character of the Karan Johar film that showcases how romance in Hindi cinema has changed over the years. But Karan says the actor is not yet part of his short movie." - See more at: http://www.bollywood.com/haven%E2%80%99t-cast-anyone-bombay-talkies-yet-karan-johar#sthash.pG3oMm98.dpuf
    That KJo says "not yet part" makes me think, as Pompula suggests, he always goes to SRK first for a role. SRK must have declined for reasons best known to himself.
    On KWK, KJo was talking about speculation on his private life, and mentioned three possibilities. I forget the first two, but when he said the third, "perhaps I've loved the same person for the last twenty years", his voice expressed a subtle depth of emotion that made me think that that was the correct choice. It was around twenty years ago he began work on DDLJ with SRK. But that could just be my imagination, to think that everyone is in love with the same person you are, especially if it's SRK.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014