1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Billu Barber DVD

Discussion in 'Billu' started by rahulsn011, Mar 15, 2009.

1. lamya

lamya Well-Known Member

i've ordered mine and i'm waiting for it to arrive ....impatiently

2. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

DVD Review Billu Barber Bollywood Hungama

DVD Review
    By Joginder Tuteja, April 11, 2009 - 11:44 IST

Bollywood Hungama

Billu Barber MOVIE DETAILS
    [​IMG]

Cast: Irrfan Khan, Lara Dutta and Shah Rukh Khan
    Director: Priyadarshan
    Producer: Gauri Khan
    Music: Pritam
    Lyrics: Gulzar

THE FILM

For a film that revolves around the story of two friends who have been distanced by time and wealth, the most crucial moment for the audience would revolve around 'what happens in the end'? It's the journey towards the finale which would make any story worth following because you know that 'anth mein sab kuch theek ho jaata hai' [as stated by Shah Rukh Khan himself in Om Shanti Om]! So even though you are well aware that the two Khans - Irrfan and Shah Rukh - would ultimately be united, more so because this is a commercial fare by Priyadarshan, you are happy to hop on to the ride.

Well, an entertaining ride Billu certainly is and there are no road blocks either. However, when the film reaches it's critical juncture, the one where it is Shah Rukh's turn to acknowledge his friend Irrfan's contribution to his life, it fails to touch your heart. There are no moist eyes, no change in the heart beat, no craving for your loved one - it just turns out to be an ordinary culmination to a story that promised so much more but fizzled out in the end.

Ok, so Priyadarshan may well have followed the adage of 'It's special to be ordinary' which also forms his film's punch line but then there has to be something moving about the meeting of two people; an episode around which the entire film is not just focused but also dependent when it comes to a conclusion.

As audience you don't really expect an explosive climax in every film starring Shah Rukh Khan. Ok, so Priyadarshan avoided getting all his characters together in his film's climax (and thankfully avoided the pandemonium that has been seen in his earlier efforts like Hungama, Hulchul, Bhagam Bhag, Dhamaal - all of it being good but quite repetitive now)! Still, one expected a little better than the flat ending that Billu suggests!

Thankfully, there is an epilogue of sorts with the two Khans coming face to face; something that lifts the film up by a couple of notches at least. Shah Rukh demanding Lara to bring something to eat/drink at his friend's place is a well delivered line which pretty much explains that he has neither forgotten his roots nor his friends. Even otherwise, the strength of Billu lies in it's simplicity. There are no over the top moments except for the ones involving the supporting actors like Om Puri, Rajpal Yadav, Asrani, Manoj Joshi, Rasika Joshi and other regulars with Priyadarshan.

As for Irrfan Khan, he demonstrates terrific hold over even those scenes which could have otherwise become highly melodramatic in any other film. He joins everyone and even invites audiences to have a good laugh over his poverty and doesn't make it a weepy saga. Scene after scene, he goes through ridicule and some extremely hard times to earn 'do waqt ki roti' and education for his children. However, he is shown to be laughing it all away with his own brand of humor (subdued in case of this film though) without turning it into either a weep fest or something that is frivolous. In this aspect, Billu works big time.

Even otherwise, the dramatic scenes featuring Shah Rukh Khan are well done for 90% of the film. Whether it is his entry into the scene or sheer amusement that he gains at the expense of fan types who surround him all the time or the place where he comes in defense of the film industry (easily the best scene of the film where he gets into a verbal spat with Manoj Joshi), he does it with ease. He plays himself with his own witty self all over his character, something which makes Billu an engaging watch. Watch out for his exasperation when a junior artist is unable to get his lines right. Brilliant!

As for Lara Dutta, she does whatever offered to her well but by no angle looks like a gaon-waali! The kids though seem to have been borrowed straight from a village in just the way 'Slumdog Millionaire' kids were handpicked from kids. They do well in every scene offered to them.

PACKAGING

Billu is packed in a thick paper and plastic case that lends a high quality feel to the product.

DURATION

The film's duration is 137 minutes

SPECIAL FEATURES

The film comes with the bonus features that include:

- Making of the Film
    - Making of the songs ('Marjaani', 'Hit Hit', 'Khudaya Khair')
    - Deleted Scenes

Let's talk about the deleted scenes ones. These are the most uninspiring scenes that one would have seen as a part of the 'Deleted Scenes' segment for a Bollywood flick. There are exactly two scenes lasting five minutes in total. While one features Om Puri, other involves a junior artist, none of being connected to the narrative of the film in any ways. Good they were knocked off in the film.

As for the making of the film and the songs section, they take the usual 'interview' route with hardly any insight into what went into the making along with behind the sets happenings. Everyone seems to be mighty pleased about being a part of this film where everyone is in a self proclamation mood about how good it has turned out to be. Come on, can we have others talk about it rather?

TECHNICAL DETAILS

- 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
    - Subtitles in English
    - Dolby Digital 5.1 and Stereo

PRICE

Rs. 299/=

CONCLUSION

Billu could have been a much better film than it eventually turned out to be if only there was a better culmination to the story. If you are ready to ignore that then watch it just for Irrfan Khan's brilliance and Shah Rukh Khan's sparkling appearance in the film that lights up the frames every time he appears.

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/movies/dvdreview/13891/index.html

3. Pedi

Pedi Well-Known Member

AW: Billu Barber DVD

I bought my dvd some days ago in Mumbai :):heart::D
    Looks good...

[​IMG]

4. Anjali72

Anjali72 Thanx Shah Rukh!!!

Really can´t wait to posess mine, too......:):):)

5. shallu.

shallu. Well-Known Member

Wow, it DOES look good Petra! The VCD is already out but I will have to wait about a week for both the dvd of BB and RNBDJ! Aaah! I want it, and I want it now!

shallu.

6. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

Me too... actually I had kind of hoped to get mine today, but it didn't arrive... Hopefully tomorrow... :D

7. Astri

Astri New Member

I have a question here. Billu Barber DVD is one disc only? Is there any special feature?

8. Pedi

Pedi Well-Known Member

AW: Re: Billu Barber DVD

Yes - it`s one disc with special features

- Making of the film
    - Making of the songs
    1.Marjaani
    2.Hit Hit
    3.Khudaya Khair
    - Deleted Scenes

9. Rajshri

Rajshri Well-Known Member

My DVD keeps getting stuck yaar :( Anybody has the same problem?

10. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

I made it all the way through with no problems. Have you tried it in another player? Sometimes I have that problem; a disc will work in one player and not a different one. If not, then return it ASAP. I have had good experience with returning for defective discs. It is so frustrating waiting for so long and then not even being able to get through the whole thing, right?!!
    Good Luck!

11. Rajshri

Rajshri Well-Known Member

*sigh* Yeah, I packed mine again and I'll return it. Damn it! I was looking so forward to watching Rab Ne and Billu Barber this weekend!

12. shallu.

shallu. Well-Known Member

What is going on with the quality of the DVDs?? I just came from the RNBDJ thread and there too some of us are experiencing faulty DVDs.

shallu.

13. Astri

Astri New Member

Re: AW: Re: Billu Barber DVD

Oh OK. Thanks Petra.:)

14. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

still have to get my copy grrr :tsk:

15. Pompula

Oh no! Now I'm scared... :scared: I didn't receive mine yet, I was kind of expecting it to arrive by friday, but it didn't... (which is actually good, because it would have been difficult to fit the film to my weekend schedule, but impossible to not to include it...) But this so reminds me of the problems with OSO last year... They are both eros DVDs.... :scared:

16. MerySky

MerySky Crazy for SRK

[​IMG]

OMG !!! :eek:
    Thank you very much PEDI :thumb: by the image of
    the DVD, I want to have my hands on the DVD to
    see it and save it in the safe! :p :D :)

17. Pompula

My DVD just arrived!!!! It's here!! It's here!!! I'm soooo happy!!! :bounce::whoo::dance:

LOL! I'm so happy, but the truth is, I don't know if I'll have time to watch it before weekend (I might have tomorrow) even now I have to leave for evening shift in little over an hour... But before that, I'll have time to at least watch the SRK songs... :D:D:D :bolt:

18. Pompula

:doh: Fish this!!! Seriously!!! Why am I not surprised that the sishing DVD is defected and doesn't work! Now I'm so p***ed I just give up! If 2009 has thought me anything it's that I should just turn to piracy! Really, I'm so sick of this!!!

Doesn't help to buy a new DVD player, because THAT'S WHAT I DID LAST TIME!!!!

I'll just give up! :( :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

19. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

is it just me or is everybody havin problems with DVDs? this is sooooooo frustrating :mad: u're right Katja, i totally agree

20. SWEET

SWEET ♥Panorama♥

why dont u ppl send an email to RC to tell them about that :noidea: