1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

All the small things...

Discussion in 'Movie Reviews - Members' started by prilvsrk, Dec 13, 2008.

1. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

Warning: This review is extremely long. I watched the movie twice yesterday.. back to back :D I feel that Shahrukh deserved that much from me. once I started writing, I just couldn't stop.. so please be patient.. Haule Haule the review will be finished ;) Also.. SPOILERS ahead!
    I wanted to thank ru partner and chris partner for all their support during the excrutiating wait! :hug::kiss: OK... here goes!

Rab ne is not about big agendas or important slogans; it’s about the simple things in life that we sometimes forget to appreciate or to give any thought to. That’s why the setting is in Amritsar instead of New York or Bombay. That’s why Shahrukh “dares” to play the common and ordinary person, who we are all in real life but are dying to escape from. This movie is a simple attempt to show that behind the ordinariness, simplicity and almost geekiness of a person, lies a golden heart.

The movie begins with Suri and Taani, a newly married couple and their awkward transition into wedded “bliss”. Even though Suri loves Taani, she is frank from the beginning and tells him that she might never love anyone again. Suri then tries to win her heart by converting to his altar-ego Raj. What happens after this, forms the basic premise of the film.

There are several simple moments in the movie which succeed in not being riotously funny or over-emotional. They have been picturized in an extremely realistic way so as to bring credibility to the film. It indicates how we are in real life, because how often do we say something incredibly hilarious or become totally over-emotional? These are the moments that deserve praise due to the performances and direction.

For instance, there is a scene in the beginning where Suri leaves his telephone number for Taani in a note under the ketchup bottle and then decides to put the rose next to it, but then changes his mind. The post-production details are flawless in this scene, Haule-Haule plays in the background as we see Suri’s shy smile come out when he sets the rose down next to the note, but then abruptly stops when he puts the rose back in the vase. This scene had so much love in it that you can’t help but go “awwww”.

Another scene similar to this was the one in the changing room, where Raj asks Taani about what a woman really wants. After she tells him that a girl just wants to be loved like never before, Raj rests his head on the wall and is almost pleads with her to see how much Suri really loves her. There is true emotion in that scene, and Shahrukh is perfect. His pain and heartache is clearly visible in his eyes and body language.

My favorite scene in the movie is right before Dancing Jodi comes on, when Taani tells Raj that she can’t run away with him because she loves Suri. During this scene, we see Shahrukh’s eyes tearing up, and we’re almost expecting a few emotional dialogues from him, but the perfection in the scene lies in the fact that he doesn’t say ANYTHING! She leaves, and then we see Shahrukh crying, but what makes the scene perfection is the ordinary way in which he wipes his tears. He just uses his sleeves, instead of a grand gesture of letting the tears flow or flicking them with his hands. This brings out the simplicity of the film.

The songs in the movie are fantastic. Haule Haule has been shot in 3 shots, which is extremely difficult to do, once you see the song in its entirety, and you have to give the team credit for being so innovative. Dance pe Chance is foot-tapping number that makes you want to dance in the aisles of the theatre when you are watching the movie! Phir Milenge Chalte Chalte has been shot excellently, with the special appearances being thrown in for good measure, and Shahrukh’s mimicry of the “gods of hindi cinema” being done brilliantly. My favorite is Tujh mein rab dikhta hai, because of the picturization in three different houses of worship. It showcases the secularism in India, which is appropriate, especially during the current situation.

Performance-wise, Shahrukh is excellent. He gives an extremely restrained performance as Suri, which probably was not that difficult for him to enact, given that’s how he is real life. There are subtle touches in the film like him calling his friend Bobby “yaara” which is a tribute to Shahrukh’s father, because that’s how he would address him. You can’t help but love Suri, because of the respect and space that he gives Taani, his unfailing charm in the honeymoon scenes in Japan or even the fact that behind the nerdy glasses, there’s a heart of gold. Raj on the other hand succeeds at being silly and lovable all at the same time. The scene where he and Taani are dancing right before the announcement of the competition is incredibly funny. His constant refrain of “Hadippa” can’t help but bring a smile to one’s face.

Anushka does extremely well as a newcomer. She comes across as confident in her own skin, and her expressions are fresh and vibrant. She keeps up with Shahrukh in the emotional scenes, which is very difficult to do, given Shahrukh’s polish to his craft. She comes across as being very simple and is sure to go far in the industry. Vinay Pathak as Shahrukh’s trusty sidekick in the movie plays his part successfully. He is a natural actor, and his energy and emotions go hand in hand with Shahrukh’s.

Aditya Chopra has successfully managed to bring out one of Shahrukh’s best performances. His growth as a writer has been tremendous, and his direction is even better, which I feel says something. He extracts fabulous performances from all his characters, and his style is present in every frame! Shahrukh and Adi are great storytellers, and Rab ne is sure to go down in history for that!

All in all, Rab ne is a great entertainer that is sure to make you go home and tell your significant other how much you love them and appreciate them for who they are. At the end of the end of the day, it’s these little and simple things that make our life worth living!

2. mj1984

mj1984 Active Member

great review. hey by the way did u notice that in suri's house there are real life pictures of srk. like a young srk with moustache nd one wid his friends and one of a small srk. ha ha that was cute. it made it look real.

3. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

I KNW!!! i loved those little touches!! jsut adds to the realism in the movie :D

4. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

PRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yaaaaaaaaaar!!! :hurt:
    i loved your review!!

i am glad you enjoyed your time and SO FREAKING HAPPY that FINALLY, someone else agrees with me about Anushka!
    she was good for a new comer, she was original and shouldnt be compared to any other actress cause shes so natural!

:dance::cheer2::cheer2:

Pri ji partner!!
    :hug::kiss: WE FINALLY WATCHED IT!!!!!!

i loved this part when Suri is typing in his laptop and suddenly Taani comes up to him and be like "Surinder ji" and he gets up fast with his laptop :pound::rofl:

cant believe Taani didnt notice his love for her after that scene!

5. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

oh there were so many parts tht i didn't put in this review... bc it was already so long. i've added all tht in my own personal review.

6. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

i loooved tht part... it was sooo cute... first he tries to take it off.. and then he's like you knw.. screw it! also did u see in some scenes... he was using his own apple imac in the house. i thot tht was funny!

7. sandih

sandih New Member

what was the audience reaction

8. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

!!! :lol: haan!
    the pictures were his too
    it felt like i was watching ShahRukh Khan movie :lol:... :confused2: you knwo what i mean na

9. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

i knw.. especially the one with the mustache! tht was so cute :)

10. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

haan!
    and the baby picture, drinking pepsi!!
    aw! :D

this movie is just great yaar!:heart:

11. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

i knw! and when he was drinking pepsi.. he kept missing the straw.. i was like.. awww!!!
    i also loved tht scene where he gives taani CHAA (tea) and he says tht there's no pain in love.. love is a gift from god.. where's the pain in tht? tht just broke my heart!

12. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

:confused2:
    thank God, im watching it this Monday again
    cause i dont remember that scene :eek:

13. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

its when he tells her to run away with him.. right before tht.
    i just loved tujh mein rab dikhta hai yaar... it was sooooo emotional and amazing.. just perfect.

14. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

:hurt::hurt::hurt:
    i knoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!
    both female and male verions!
    the way Suri and Taani danced when the song was like "Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi" :hurt::hurt::heart::heart:

SO BEAUTIFUL!! :heart:

15. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

i knw yaara :p i've started using tht word now.. i'm so happy he used tht word.. bc it's so like his dad used to call him. .tht just made me cry in itself! :hurt:
    i just also loooved dancing jodi... suri dancing.. haiiii!!!!!!! soooooo cute... and the intensity is just amazing.. and then after tht.. when he starts crying... when they hug.. and it's like the FIRST time they touch.. it was just electrifying... i had goosebumps!

16. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

YEEAHHH!!!
    the way he put his hand on her shoulder then till her cheek!!! :hurt:
    i was like "its the first time that he touches her" :hurt:

SO BEAUTIFUL!!

i do remember ShahRukh sayin that his dad calls him yaara.. but im so stupid! i didnt remmeber that when he called his friend that! i loved how he said it though!!

aww! i was remmebering thouhg, how ShahRukh said Suhana was sad for Suri and started crying!!! :heart::heart:
    now i know why! :hug::kiss:

DANCING JODI is the best scene! the way they were dancing and how she started to remember things.. haaiii!! :heart::love::hug::hurt:

17. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

the honeymoon scenes were sooooo cute!!! omg.. especially the one where he stands in front of her bc she's wearing a dress... hehe.. :p i was like awww.... he even said tht line in an interview.. and it made me smile.
    this whole movie jsut makes you smile... like he was saying.. he talks abt it.. and hestarts smiling.. it's the same reaction from my side as well... it's so heartwarming.. and soothing to the heart.. jsut amazing!
    to go back to the honeymoon shots.. the last ones - "private moments" i was like.. awww... soooo adorable.. and totally realistic.. thts wat i loved.. this movie was soooo real.. it doesnt give you false hopes.. it's just there.. like how everyone leads their life... thts wat i love!

18. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

so true!
    thats what i told a friend last night, RNDBJ is so real and so close to reality!
    the honeymoon pictures were so sweet and beautiful, i loved the one where he was standing next to her and she was wearing his glasses and had her hair as his mustache :D!!

but some forgot about that, and instead they focused on "oh, how come Taani didnt recognize HER OWN HUSBAND when he did the makeover?" i mean, thats what i call narrow minded people :tape2: the movie was delivering a beautiful sweet full of emotions idea, and they had to focus yet again on "looks and personality" :tape:

19. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

see.. it's jsut a point of difference.. i think i've been so ingrained with bollywood movies.. tht tiny little part didnt' affect me in any way... it's just cinematic liberty and license that you have to take with a grain of salt.

on another note.. did u see his interview on aaj tak with manish ... it was sooo cute!! his "dil se" interview... he was just sooo normal.. i think after a long time he seemed very relaxed... and the questions posed were also really
    fun!

when is chris partner coming back?? i want her to read my review!!!!

20. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

:eek: i posted the interview but coulding finish it.. it was all in hindi that i mostly didnt understand :eek::eek::eek::eek:

but i will re-watch all the promos videos!!
    this time i will be able to focus :pound:

aww!! shes sleeping yaar!! you will catch her soon! :D:D