1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

All Box Office news/updates about Chak De India

Discussion in 'Chak De India' started by Kalsoom_24, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Astri

Astri New Member

Re: B.O. update: 'Chak De India' starts slow

I dont agree. It can be a hit overseas.

2. Rajshri

Rajshri Well-Known Member

CDI scores a HIT for Yashraj Films!!!!!

CDI scores a hit for Yashraj Films
    After the the below expectation results of Ta Ra Rum Pum and the debacle of Jhoom Barabar Joom, Yashraj Films are back and have resumed dishing out hits with Chak De India.Chak De India got an average opening but it was clear by the Friday evening shows that the film would do well and the collections on Saturday just confirmed that. The all India average opening on Friday stood at around 60% but on Saturday and Sunday the collections were 90-100% at major centres. The smaller centres did not zoom up but still did well enough to hold their collections. The film has been released on approx 400 cinemas all over India with a major chunk of the screenings in metroes and A centres..

The film held rock steady on the dreaded Monday with collections of 60-70%. There is expectation of the collections to rise over the weekend again as there is appreciation for the film from the public.

Chak De India will emerge a hit or better in Mumbai, Delhi/UP(UP is only fair but Delhi/NCR is strong), East Punjab, CI, Nizam and Mysore. :D:cool: The other circuits will depend on how well they sustain collections from here on. But it's unlikely to have a losing circuit as even Bihar may notch up 18-20 lakhs from the 7 prints sent to the circuit.

On an all India basis the first week nett business should come in the region of 17-19 crore. The approx breakdown of collections are Friday-2.35 crore, Saturday-3.40 crore and Sunday-3.75 crore giving it a 9.50 crore nett gross for the first three days.

Overseas the film has disappointed with its start but the makers expect it to hold its collection well into the second week.

boxofficeindia.com

3. Chicken

Chicken ♥ ♥

Chak De stumbles abroad

by Arthur J Pais in New York
    August 14, 2007
    source: rediff.com
    The eagerly awaited Chak De! India scored no goal at the lucrative North American box-office.

In fact, its scanty $351,000 take in three days could enter ShahRukh Khan's all-time hall of shame. The film opened at number 20 on the box-office charts. Its collection from 62 theatres showed that Shah Rukh, who has an invincible record in the US and UK (even Paheli, a dud in India, was a big hit abroad), could not make the film a success.

Even in the United Kingdom, the film has reportedly done disappointing business. Following the poor American and British run of Jhoom Barbar Jhoom, the poorer showing of Chak De is surely a big shock to the producers, Yash Raj Films.

To put things in context, compare the gross of Chak De to that of Partner. The latter opened to a nearly $600,000 weekend in North America and ended its run with a handsome $1.4 million. It made about $1.1 million in the United Kingdom. The Shah Rukh turkey would be lucky to end its North American run with a gross equaling half that of Partner.

There could be many reasons why Chak De is a disappointment at the box-office. One of them is the reluctance by Pakistani and Bangladeshi audiences, who adore Shah Rukh just as Indians do, to see a film which is a kind of cheerleader for India.

'It is like making a film called Mera Bharat Mahan or Hindustan Ki Kasam and putting Shah Rukh in the lead,' said an exhibitor who wanted to remain anonymous. 'No Pakistani or Bangladeshi will want to see a film like those.'

'But if Chak De had made a powerful impact on Indians,' he continued, 'and had they seen the film two or three times, it would easily become a hit and make up for the no-show Pakistanis and Bangladeshis."

The failure of Chak De comes soon after Anil Kapoor's production Gandhi My Father ended its North American run with a crippling $235,000. It did not fare better on the other side of the Atlantic either.

Both films received fairly good reviews in some of the mainstream publications. In the United Kingdom, Gandhi My Father was praised in The Guardian newspaper.

The New York Times liked quite a few things in Chak De. It referred to Shah Rukh as 'the assured Bollywood veteran,' and added that director Shimit Amin 'strikes a buoyant, propulsive tone, replacing the customary Bollywood production numbers with exhilarating musical montages of team practice.'

Shah Rukh received more praise from the reviewer Andy Webster, a junior in the film review department (The Times seldom gets its first and second string reviewers write on masala Indian films).

'For his part, Mr Khan, to his credit, lets his co-stars' youthful charisma carry the movie,' declared Webster.

True, but not to the extent that the film could become even a medium range hit here.

http://inhome.rediff.com/movies/2007/aug/14chak.htm

4. sanjani

sanjani Ullu-Club Member

Re: CDI scores a HIT for Yashraj Films!!!!!

Thank you for sharing! :)

5. Kalsoom_24

Kalsoom_24 New Member

oh GOd..thats why they didn't went to watch cdi?

6. Chicken

Chicken ♥ ♥

Yeah, I know... I just thought the same... how narrow minded can people possibly be... that's so ridiculous :crazy:... this sounds rather like a lame excuse to me. :mmph:

Unfortunately, I won't get to see 'CDI' till it's out on DVD :eek: :(... but even without having seen it yet... I just know for sure that it's a brilliant movie :thumb:... and that everyone who has the chance to watch it on the big screen should take advantage of it
    and do so. :nod:

Gosh... I really envy everyone who has the chance to watch 'CDI' on the big screen... that's why it upsets me even more that some ignorant people chose not to go to the theatres... for some rather foolish reasons. :tsk:

7. Rajshri

Rajshri Well-Known Member

Re: CDI scores a HIT for Yashraj Films!!!!!

A reality check for Yashraj Films

Chak De India has finally delievered a much needed hit to the house of Yashraj. After several disasters, it seems a reality check was needed in order to bag a winner.

After box office duds - 'Tara rum pum' and 'Jhoom barabar jhoom', the Yashraj banner has finally manged to bag a goal at the box office. All it took was SRK and some 16 girls in Chak de India.
    So while dream sequences in clingy chiffon have been replaced by another kind of leap of faith - that of a coach and his girls dreaming of their ultimate goal. It seems they have indeed won it, along with people's hearts. Yashraj has fnally discovered that a dose of reality never hurt anyone. Like one of team 'Chak De' said it's sixteen regular looking girls not dolled up actors on screen and thats whats done the trick for the film.

While the film has been generating the sweet sound of cash registers ringing, it has also proved to be a shot in the arm for the King himself. A welcome relief for him and us from all that hysterical hamming onscreen. So with Chak de hopefully it's a new era in some serious down to earth entertainment from Shah Rukh, after all it has been a risk that's paid off.

SRK's risk, Chak de India does pack in a mean punch with a tinge of underlying sweetness. It is a new venture indeed from the house of Yashraj which relied heavily on foreign locales and family based drama. So while the waterworks in this one might have been thankfully shut down, time might prove this to be deluge of hits for Yshraj in the future.

8. sanjani

sanjani Ullu-Club Member

Chak De India has finally delievered a much needed hit to the house of Yashraj.

:thumb: :clap2: :thumb:

9. jazy

jazy Member

It's a great movie and I hope by word of mouth many will watch Chak de India - in India as well as overseas.

10. semaay

semaay Senior Member

i have a general question regarding the BO figures of Indian movies (maybe our members from India can answer this one better): of course, it is great to have a movie which is a success in the own country and abroad. but what is more important for the filmmakers and producers: to have a hit in their own country or rather abroad? i get the feeling lately that filmmakers are concentrating more and more on the international marketing and putting their priorities there.

11. Poonam

Poonam New Member

Yesim:

This is my personal understandingof this mystery. From the public perception if a movie doesn't do very well in the India market it is perceived as unsuccessful, regardless of how it does overseas e.g. Swades paheli. So it has to make a mark here.

12. dedeb

dedeb New Member

i think its just cz its srk film and didnt do well overseas with the star power he has everyone is in shoked this will be his first flop overseas after six year which i still dont think it will flop the wom can change everything hopefully

13. 1Feyenoord

1Feyenoord Member

Overseas: One big disappointment

:mad:

http://www.indiafm.com/trade/overseas_boxoffice/index.html

Overseas: One big disappointment!

One of the biggest releases of the year, CHAK DE INDIA, has ended as one of the biggest disappointments of the year. The film has garnered praise from those who’ve watched the film, but the collections are missing. Now let’s monitor the business closely in the three major territories –

U.K.: CHAK DE INDIA has sent shock waves here. When compared to other Yash Raj films, the screen average is lower than JHOOM BARABAR JHOOM, TA RA RUM PUM, DHOOM 2, FANAA, SALAAM | NAMASTE, BUNTY AUR BABLI, VEER-ZAARA, HUM TUM, MUJHSE DOSTI KAROGE, MERE YAAR KI SHAADI HAI and MOHABBATEIN.
    The screen average is higher than NEAL ‘N’ NIKKI, KABUL EXPRESS and DHOOM, the three Yash Raj films that didn’t make any mark in this territory. Ideally, the film that brings together the two giants [YRF, SRK] should’ve fetched a 300,000 + start, since JHOOM BARABAR JHOOM and TA RA RUM PUM, on almost the same number of prints, fetched £ 264,347 and £ 231,835, respectively in the opening weekend. SRK being the biggest crowd puller in Overseas should’ve fetched a much better start than Abhishek-Bobby and Saif, respectively.

U.S.A.: Talking of screen averages, CHAK DE INDIA is below DHOOM 2, FANAA, SALAAM | NAMASTE, BUNTY AUR BABLI, VEER-ZAARA and HUM TUM. The screen average is slightly higher than JHOOM BARABAR JHOOM and TA RA RUM PUM [both opened at 20 screens more than CHAK DE INDIA]. It’s also higher than KABUL EXPRESS, NEAL ‘N’ NIKKI and DHOOM -- the three YRF films that didn’t make much of an impression in this territory. For CHAK DE INDIA screen average to be better than KABUL EXPRESS, NEAL ‘N’ NIKKI and DHOOM is not a compliment, what say?

AUSTRALIA: CHAK DE INDIA is decent here, but the numbers aren’t excellent. Ideally, the film should’ve fetched an Aus. $ 15,000 screen average, since DHOOM 2 [average: 14,704], FANAA [13,890], SALAAM | NAMASTE [14,531] and VEER-ZAARA [10,479] have set that benchmark. But the average is Aus. $ 8,646, which is almost half of the expected figure.

14. Chicken

Chicken ♥ ♥

Thanks Poonam... this is also something I always wondered about... there are movies which are being rather successfull overseas, but which are nontheless considered a flop in India.

I imagine this puts Indian filmmakers, producers and actors under even more pressure.

I mean some western productions also fail to leave an impression in their own country but still might do extremely well in other countries and as long as there revenues are considerably higher than their costs and they actually make a profit... the movie is considered a success.

15. 1Feyenoord

1Feyenoord Member

Indian Independence Day boosts CD India; Marigold weak advance

In a mark of release timing paying off, the collections of Chak De India, which on its own started off weakly despite being Shahrukh Khan’s first release, have received excellent bookings for Wednesday, 15th August. Combined with the earlier pickup over the weekend, and manageable drops over monday/tuesday; the film’s overall first week collections will be excellent. The film is on 63 prints in Mumbai. It has been released on relatively small 400 prints across the country.

Sunny Deol, in the past known to ride the patriotic train to the box office himself is not finding any such favors in his attempt as a Pakistani officer in Amtoj Mann’s Kaafila. Kaafila has bitten dust at the box office.

The bookings for next week’s release; Salman Khan’s Marigold; have however opened on a tepid note again.

www.ibosnetwork.com

16. Mazz

Mazz New Member

Can I just say that one of the reasons this film might not have done so well is that it seems to be showing on so few screens. There is only one cinema in the south east of England showing it (although there aren't usually many more than that that show Indian films). I went to see it on Monday afternoon and there were three of us in the cinema. I felt sad in one respect, but on the other hand it was like having a personal screening!

Mazz

17. filmifan

filmifan bhangraholic nattu

yeah, i don't believe the Bangla/Pakistani angle that people are trying to use in these box office arguments. this film has no foreign country bashing in it. actually, if anything, it questions the Indian status quo.

for heaven's sake, Chak De opened at No. 20 here!! that's fantastic considering that: 1) it's not a multi-starrer (hell, most of the cast are non-actors); 2) it's a sports movie--with no love interest or naach-gaana; 3) it opened the same weekend as a major blockbuster; 4) it's directed by an "artier" indie-vibed filmmaker; 5) it's a social-message film.

i honestly didn't expect Chak De to make a million dollars here its opening weekend. to compare it to a big budget, multi-starrer, high-candyfloss film like Partner is ridiculous.

18. semaay

semaay Senior Member

Thank you very much for your explanation, Poonam! :thumb:
    This is what I have felt as well. Nice to have a confirmation from you!

19. clochette

clochette New Member

I totally agree with you, Joelette, this film is NOT comparable to other Hindi mainstream movies, and imo it is far too early to say something about a hit or not. I also think that the quality of the film will perhaps not be equalized with the quantity of the money he is bringing. So what??!! It will be a success - it already IS a success!!!

20. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

i also agree with people i didnt expect chak de to break box office recors in overseas 1 because it wasnt promoted at all on tv and 2 because not everyone likes sport and the weather is really bad in the uk right now and there is still time i dont like it when people just spread roumers well i hope its roumers about why pakistanis and bangladeshis didnt watch it im a pakistani myself and i think its a good film lets hope for the best thanks for sharing