1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

A closer look at "Tu Mere Samne" (Darr)

Discussion in 'Darr' started by lauraleedooley, Oct 28, 2013.

1. lauraleedooley

lauraleedooley Bollywood Blogger

2. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

I always noticed he only wore one outfit in this song, contrary to the usual for Hindi movie song picturizations. I like your explanation of why.

Incidentally he wore the same shirt in Baazigar in the song "Baazigar Oh Baazigar" (with a cute straw hat and short shorts.)

lauraleedooley says thanks.
  3. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

This song was foreshadowed in the movie by the scene where Rahul was lying in his hammock playing his harmonica and imagining Kiran dancing seductively for him. I think Rahul was an example of a person with erotomania. Such an individual is in love with a stranger who is often a famous person and believes that this person returns his love. Kiran was not technically a stranger since she had gone to school with him but I believe he saw her as being a stranger. When they were introduced to each other in Switzerland, he seemed startled that she recognized him and even remembered his name. In the scenes where he talked to his mother on the phone about Kiran he obviously believed Kiran was in love with him and he was angry that she was planning to marry someone else. "Tu Mere Samne" fits with this because he imagined her returning his love and admitting that he was irresistible to her.

I've always thought that Rahul deliberately hid his love from Kiran to protect himself and that if she had known about it in college he could have won her heart. I always imagine that when she told him that she remembered him he seemed to have a moment of insight and a fleeting understanding that his romance with Kiran could have been a reality. This is the tragedy of Darr and one of the reasons I find Rahul so compelling.

TessaRose and lauraleedooley thank this.
  4. lauraleedooley

lauraleedooley Bollywood Blogger

Absolutely. Well said.

rubyroo says thanks.