2016 Movie Marathon

Discussion in 'Moviewala' started by MaryAnnK, Jan 22, 2016.

1. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Won't you please join me this year? Let's keep this going. If you have comments about a certain film, just go to that thread here under its title and share your thoughts. (If you find any problem (or even a suggestion) with my list, just post and I will make corrections!)

22 Jan - Happy New Year
    29 Jan - Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa
    05 Feb - Ram Jaane
    12 Feb - Paheli
    19 Feb - Anjaam
    26 Feb – One 2 Ka 4

04 Mar - Ram Jaane
    11 Mar - Paheli
    18 Mar - My Name is Khan
    25 Mar - Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge
    01 Apr – Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
    08 Apr - Duplicate
    15 Apr – Baazigar
    22 Apr - Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam
    29 Apr - Chamatkaar
    06 May - Chalte Chalte
    13 May - Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
    20 May - Dil To Pagal Hai
    27 May - Chennai Express
    03 Jun - Jab Tak Hai Jaan
    10 Jun - O Darling Yeh Hai India
    17 Jun - Don
    24 Jun - Don 2
    01 Jul - Karan Arjun
    08 Jul - Shakti--The Power
    15 Jul - English Babu Desi mem
    22 Jul - Zamana Deewana
    29 Jul - Swades
    05 Aug - Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman
    12 Aug - Yes Boss
    19 Aug - Dil Se
    26 Aug - Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
    02 Sep - Billu Barber
    09 Sep - Fauji
    16 Sep - Hum Hain Lajawab/The Incredibles (If you have a copy!)
    23 Sep - Dulha Mil Gaya
    30 Sep - Ra One
    07 Oct - Pardes
    14 Oct - Dil Aashna Hai
    21 Oct - My Name is Khan
    28 Oct - Army
    04 Nov - Trimurti
    11 Nov - Koyla
    18 Nov - Deewana
    25 Nov - Darr
    02 Dec – King Uncle
    09 Dec - Hey Ram
    16 Dec - Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham
    23 Dec - Devdas
    30 Dec – Guddu
    06 Jan - Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani
    13 Jan – Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna
    20 Jan - Kal Ho Naa Ho
    27 Jan - Chahaat
    03 Feb - Mohabbatein
    10 Apr – Josh

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Mara says thanks.

Dear guest,

PlanetSRK is one of the largest ShahRukh Khan communities in the world.
    Please support us by registering for free!
    Just click the signup button at the top!

Thanks,

PlanetSRK Staff

3. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Thank you for continuing this Maryanne! :D
    I don't usually get the chance to participate but I watch with envy those of you who do.
    All the films are worth revisiting and new viewings bring up different impressions and comments.
    :thumb:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    MaryAnnK says thanks.
  4. MaryAnnK

There is no requirement to watch every week, but if you are looking for a suggestion sometime, this is a good place to look! ;)

5. MaryAnnK

Jan 29 - Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa
    We are getting snowed in today and I am so ready to go to bed and watch this!!!!

Mara and rollercoast thank this.
  6. MaryAnnK

05 Feb - Ram Jaane

Mara says thanks.
  7. MaryAnnK

Getting a little head start for this weekend! This is one I enjoy sharing with those who don't know Shah Rukh Khan.
    The color, the storyline, the scenery! Beautiful!

12 Feb - Paheli

rollercoast and tasifa thank this.
  8. MaryAnnK

19 Feb - Anjaam

Haven't watched this in a long time. Need to pull it out!

9. MaryAnnK

26 Feb – One 2 Ka 4

10. MaryAnnK

04 Mar - Ram Jaane

On of his sadder characters. The thought of tossing out a baby always grabs my heart and he felt that loss until his death too! :(
    His flamboyance tried to cover his feelings of abandonment!

rubyroo says thanks.
  11. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

Ram Jaane is posted twice...So I will just post randomly about my latest SRK movie viewing. (I've been missing this thread and am glad to see its still continuing on.)

Emma and I had a little movie marathon of our own last night.
    First we watched Dilwale- my second viewing and Emma's first. Emma kept asking "Isn't this a Shah Rukh Khan Movie? (I think there was too much of his brother in it...) I tried again to put my finger on what I find lacking in this movie. It just fails to grab my heart and I could really tell because the 2 movies we watched after it DID grab our hearts. I am not sure if it's because the characters are not compelling or that the plot is flawed. I do think Shah Rukh and Kajol did well and looked very beautiful. We also couldn't help exclaiming every few minutes that "Elijah would love this movie" (my 9 yr old grandson adores car chases and explosions and fight scenes.)

I think the plot is weak. There is a need for a villain to hate on for separating the lovers for 15 years (or whatever it was) but Meera's father who seemed to be the natural villain was dead that whole time and the man who lied to her about what happened in the fatal fight scene turned out to only have lied out of respect for her father. He seemed to be bad earlier but then seemed benign at the end. Meera and or Kaali could have been antiheroes bringing suffering on themselves in a very satisfying manner (like what happened in KANK) but no they were just reacting naturally to feeling betrayed. The Boman Irani character I guess was kind of a villain substitute but he was too clownish and had nothing to do with the central tragedy of the movie. We usually have bad guys that we can love to hate in Hindi movies and now I see why they are important.

I think I didn't care from the bottom of my heart that Kaali and Meera were separated which made the story less compelling. Usually I feel I could walk over burning coals to see Shah Rukh's character get what he needs to be happy but didn't feel that way with this movie. Remember how we broke our hearts over his loss of another Meera in another movie called Jab Tak Hai Jaan? And when we thought he was going to lose Simran in DDLJ? Yeah missed it this time. Maybe because they never fought for their love. They fell in love too easily and then gave each other up too easily.

Yet the movie did have its moments...like the time when their cars were locked against each other spinning around while they looked in each other's faces with expressions of heart break and reproach. It needed more of that. And it was even a very Rohit Shettyish moment...Which shows he is not an automatic fail at portraying ShahRukh and Kajol worthy romance.

After Dilwale I MADE Emma watch DDLJ right through for the first time. She needed to see where all the references in the last few of his movies came from. She kept saying what a brat Raj was but we laughed and cried and loved it together with all our hearts. It was a beautiful experience.

Then that goofy kid insisted on watching a third movie- Happy New Year. (we didn't quite make it through the whole movie but finished it up today.) Emma really loves Happy New Year and I love it more than ever now too. The music and story are very exciting- and Mohini is one of the dearest, sweetest and most loveable heroines to grace any of Shah Rukh's movies...and the heroism of Charlie and the strong patriotic theme are irresistible.

Whew that's long. It's been quite some time since I produced a huge ginormous wall of text for a movie marathon thread...;)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    rollercoast and MaryAnnK thank this.
  12. MaryAnnK

11 Mar - Paheli

rubyroo says thanks.
  13. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

MaryAnn: could you make a Movie Marathon thread for Dilwale? I was thinking why did I put my review here and it's because I always write my thoughts about his movies in the marathon threads. I noticed the one for Chennai Express is in the Member Review section. That seems like a good idea so it doesn't get lost in all the articles about the movie.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  14. MaryAnnK

It is done! Thanks for the reminder. I have been busy lately. If a mod can move your thoughts over to the new thread that would be great!

rubyroo says thanks.
  15. MaryAnnK

25 Mar - Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge

16. MaryAnnK

I am slipping a little in keeping this going! My life is really hectic right now! Spring is kicking in around here and need to get a garden going.
    08 Apr - Duplicate

17. MaryAnnK

06 May - Chalte Chalte

Wow! It has been a month since I posted a date! Spring on the "farm" and life is so busy!
    I think I will slow down this afternoon and watch this one.

18. MaryAnnK

13 May - Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi

19. MaryAnnK

20 May - Dil To Pagal Hai

20. MaryAnnK

27 May - Chennai Express

Oh good! Dang, I have had a bad cold and have watched a few films, so this one will fit right in!

21. MaryAnnK

08 Jul - Shakti--The Power

Once summer hit, I have been so busy I can hardly believe my time is taken up! This film was difficult for me to watch the first time through. So much violence, but SRK's part is so entertaining! Yes, and even the song with Ash!

(Just finished Fan, so will comment over there.)