1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

‘The bull run of film star shows is on the wane’

Discussion in 'Kaun Banega Crorepati' started by Bridget, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

‘The bull run of film star shows is on the wane’

PriyankaSinha Posted: Mar 06, 2009 at 1533 hrs IST

Siddharth Basu, quizmaster at large, takes questions about

KBC – the show that spawned Slumdog... and tube trends

Did you think KBC, a game show format you replicated in India, would be the creative core of a significant collaboration like Slumdog Millionaire?
    The KBC mania of the first season was extraordinary. Many would vividly remember as to how it stopped the country in its tracks, come 9 pm. That’s the framework and spine of the book. Vikas has always acknowledged this. Paul Smith, of Celador, who originated the game, too was keenly aware of the exceptional nature of what happened with the show in India and it’s no surprise that he snapped up the film rights of the book. So it was pretty much ‘written’!

What were your inputs for the film— significant since you have worked with Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan on different game shows?

Synergy set up the game part of the film for about a fortnight, exactly as for KBC, and we shot as we would have for the show. Danny’s team too shot around us and used all of it in the edit in a distinctive way. Separately, as a personal request, Anil Kapoor asked us to orient him to the conduct of the game. So, with typical earnestness, he’d come over to the office every evening for long sessions with computerised cues and a camera and we ran him through his paces for a little over a week.

There’s been a great response to Kiran Bedi in Aap Ki Kachehri — did you expect that? What was the biggest challenge in doing a show devoid of manufactured emotions?

The response has been fantastic, better than our expectations. The average ratings have been higher than any non-fiction show in the past year. More than that, it’s the quality of the response that’s been remarkable. Viewers are relating to the show and the people and their problems with their hearts and heads. Through the human drama, there are real issues of rights and duties and understanding that are getting through. Our team in Delhi had been slogging at it for more than a year before the show came on and it’s been a challenge all the way. From concept to legalities to format to the show flow and Kiran’s conduct of the Kachehri, everything has evolved through testing, trial and error. The toughest part has been to get people to voluntarily come on to the forum and abide by its verdict. It’s been a steeply uphill climb all the way but most satisfying.

Are you producing KBC’s next season for Sony with Anil Kapoor as the host?

That prospect is a wild rumour without any basis whatsoever.
    It’s a typical example of decay of information. In all the Slumdog... hype, someone cottoned rather late in a muddled way that Sony Picture Company had acquired 2-Way Traffic, which in turn had acquired Celador and its shows some years back, mixed it up with the Sony channel in India and jumped to conclusions about Anil hosting it since that’s what he did in the film and had spoken about Sony asking him to host a show in the past. No amount of denials by all concerned seems to have dented the persisting rumour. Of course, anything’s possible and perhaps Sony here may take a close look at the prospect, now that the media almost wants it to be true, but the truth is that Star has optioned out of the KBC license, and the latter is available for whoever wants to buy it.

Between a reality show and a long-running soap, which would you rather produce?
    Both. And everything in-between and beyond.

Are television personalities going to be driven out of business by Bollywood stars and starlets?
    The bull run of film stars hosting TV shows is on the wane. Of course, we’ll keep seeing them on the tube, since its reach and clout is so massive. Shows may still try to hook their wagon to star-power but that’s not been a guarantee for a big sampling in the recent past and as there’s a big fund crunch on, you’ll hear less of mammoth fees.

Has the Indian television industry followed a trajectory or growth pattern similar to the West?
    In India, I’d say it’s in its last phase of adolescence. The frenetic growth has slowed, and the restless energy and copycat culture is just beginning to change.

Colors, Zee, Sony or Star – which channel is likely to be on top of the heap?
    Whoever connects best with the audience. In the foreseeable future it’s going to be Star, who have the bandwidth and resilience, with Colors and Zee in hot pursuit.

What does IPL season do to television programming?
    Except for the lead soaps, which have a die-hard and steady following, IPL just blows competition out of the water. No new shows are likely to be released during IPL this year.

An experience/learning from your years in the TV industry that you are unlikely to forget?
    One: You’re as good as your last show and you need to do your best with whatever you handle, big or small. Two: A good show may not necessarily be commercially successful but there are other objectives and values that are as important. Three: Good TV needs to go beyond the senses and the superficial to engage both head and heart, and also needs to have a social conscience.

http://www.screenindia.com/news/the-bull-run-of-film-star-shows-is-on-the-wane/430299/

2. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

whoa.. ok ... so there is no more kbc anymore ... so wat abt those other stupid rumors abt the moment of truth??!?!
    this is getting really confusing!! :confused2:

3. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

wait, explain one thing, is there or isnt there KBC 4 with SRK? :confused:

4. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

i don't think so :( bc they don't even have a channel to telecast it on.. since star sold the rights.

5. Anjali72

Anjali72 Thanx Shah Rukh!!!

No KBC4?????:(:(:(

6. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

:tsk:
    i thought he said there is KBC 4

7. SRKluvver

SRKluvver Shabana

OMG... no KBC 4!!! :(:(:(:mad: i luvvved KBC 3... SRK was soo witty and sexy!!! :heart::heart::heart::love:

8. hashim

hashim New Member

Re: ‘The bull run of film star shows is on the wane’

the way the media twisted things is so low and despicable, who started this rumor and published it first?

9. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

star :tsk:

i want kbc 4 to happen!

i really hope srk doesn't host that other crap

10. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

Of the possibilities existing now, I wish he won't do any show but concentrates on films....

11. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

i dont think he has time for any shows right now.. with mnik being pushed back and IPL next month.. where's the time to do ANYTHING?!?!? he really needs like 30 hrs in a day to do all his stuff!!

12. RizwanaShahrukh

RizwanaShahrukh I love SRK

30 nhrs too is too little for sharu pri! i wish he'd take it easy! :(