1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

‘If you want me to quit smoking, make it illegal’

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by cammy, Oct 31, 2007.

1. cammy

cammy New Member

Shah Rukh asks detractors: How many people have you sued for smoking in public?
    MUMBAI: “I will be 42 going on 27,’’ says a chirpy Shah Rukh Khan on the eve of his birthday as he prepares to sit through another interview before getting down to playing floodlit cricket with his son Aryan in the backyard of his bungalow, Mannat in western Mumbai’s Bandra suburb.
    “I love sports,’’ he says. “It teaches you how to win, how to cope with failure. I want my children to be sportspersons. If I was not an actor, I would be a sportsman,’’ he says with #Chak De! vigour and conviction.
    The much-discussed six-pack abdomen could be the metaphor for Shah Rukh feeling 15 years younger than his age (He turns 42 on November 2). But Bollywood’s reigning star dismisses this as much ado about very little.
    “A six-pack is not a sign of good health; it is a physicality, like having a good haircut. So it’s not like kuch kamaal ho gaya,’’ he says.
    There is, of course, the other pack which accompanies him everywhere, and which got him into a big controversy recently. He pulls out another cigarette from the box, and speaks candidly about his addiction. Public health moralists have been ranting about it ever since he was seen smoking at a recent T20 cricket match in Mumbai.
    “My right to information makes me ask all these (protesting) organisations, ‘Tell me, how many people have you sued in the last two years for smoking in public?’ he asks, the glint in his eyes hinting at some defiance. “I am careful about etiquette. If there is an ash-tray around, I smoke, not otherwise. Yes, I feel very bad that I am an icon for the youth and I have a bad habit. I would like to tell people not to do it, but having said that, this is my life. If you want me to change it, then make it illegal. I don’t do drugs, I don’t drink, I don’t run past red lights, I don’t do anything that is illegal.’’
    Shah Rukh switches back to films and Om Shanti Om, his sixth home production, and arguably the most-touted. Is it true that he got a record Rs75 crore for the world rights? “The figure’s wrong, but I hope it goes on to break all records,’’ he smiles, and makes a startling disclosure that he never negotiates money for his movies. #
    “I take whatever the producer sends me after the movie is released. No signing amount, nothing in between,’’ he says. What if the producer defaults? “How can I ask a man who has lost money to pay me? If you lose money on Shah Rukh Khan, then shame on me,’’ counters the actor.
    He claims money is important, but won’t quantify how much is enough. “If I walk into a shop to buy clothes and I can’t decide between two shirts, then I should have the money to buy them both.’’

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1131020

2. Rajshri

Rajshri Well-Known Member

Oeeeewh!!! My Jaanu :kiss: Why can't they just stop harrassing him! :doh:

3. sanjani

sanjani Ullu-Club Member

If there is an ash-tray around, I smoke, not otherwise.
    Yes, I feel very bad that I am an icon for the youth and I
    have a bad habit. I would like to tell people not to do it,
    but having said that, this is my life. If you want me to change it,
    then make it illegal. I don’t do drugs, I don’t drink, I don’t run past
    red lights, I don’t do anything that is illegal.

It seems that he does not really want to quit smoking.... :confused2:

4. srk-nihal

srk-nihal Winning Hearts

I really hope that he can quit smoking just for the sake of his health, but Shahrukh is an icon for everyone no matter what because his qualities are numerous to be compared with smoking, and he listed some above :kiss:

5. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

I agree with you Nihal:nod:

6. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

i also agree with you guys and i agree with shahrukh aswell i mean if they sell ciggarettes then whats the point of banding them if they want people to quit they should completley band tobacco sales

7. jg2k

jg2k The.One

I agree with all of you here too! But as ShahRukh has so rightly put it - it's his life after all! But yes, smoking in public isn't really great because even passive smoking can be a killer... Hope he really puts on a hold on it sometime soon...

8. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

Re: ‘If you want me to quit smoking, make it illegal’

I think the problem is that these kind of actions against him do more harm than good also in that sense. Because if he wants to quit, the will has to come ONLY from him. This kind of stupidities against him, will never help him in trying to quit. If it's difficult for him to quit for his own health and for his family's sake, then what would be the chances of him quitting for some random people's random law suits... :(

9. sonal

sonal SRK's D&G lover!

finally, he said it. it is his life and its his decision, i mean as people that care and love him, we can just say that we wished he would stop becuase its not healthy but these people have to let it go....he is right, its not illegal or something...

10. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

They just overlook the ones who have inflamed much expensive lives and possessions in the same place .All they don't wanna see burning is SRK'S cigg butt.:mad:

11. junibrown

junibrown New Member

Sharukh said:

Unfortunately, he is missing the point. It is 'illegal' to smoke in public in India. The NGO did not ask him to stop smoking, but to stop smoking in public places. There is a difference. Just because you see an astray doesn't mean you have the 'go ahead' to smoke. If smoking were made illegal today I'll bet Shahrukh will continue to smoke. His addiction seems that strong. Anybody know how many cigarettes he smokes a day? Does he smoke a whole pack or more a day?

I'll pray for him.

Shahrukh does ask a relevant question. How many people has the NGO sued for smoking in public? I'd like to know as well.

12. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

Re: ‘If you want me to quit smoking, make it illegal’

Me too....

13. Anoush

Anoush SRK's Lovely Sister

thanks so much for this topic

i am agree with you guys , all i have to do is to pray for srk and say Allah help you to stop smoking