1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

‘I am Shah Rukh Khan and I can live in a Taj Mahal’

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by josh, Jan 21, 2006.

1. josh

josh Member

MUMBAI, Sunday, January 22, 2006

Part 1

‘I am Shah Rukh Khan and I can live in a Taj Mahal’

Shah Rukh Khan is one of the country's highest tax payers and Bollywood's Number 2 in Filmfare's Power List. Ram Kamal Mukherjee chats with him over some chai.

You have known Karan Johar since the time he was struggling for a foothold here. Now, you are doing your third film with him. How have you seen him grow as a filmmaker?
    I have known Karan since Duplicate, when he used to come for the costume trials of Juhi Chawla and Sonali Bendre. It was his father's film, so that's when our interaction began. Later when he decided to make Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, his young mind reflected in the script.

Though some critics panned the film as a 'bubblegum' flick, I would say that 'bubblegum' was just a part of the film. It was a complete fantasy film. He wanted to show a college which we have only seen in Archie's comic strip. He believes in happy endings and melodrama.

Later when he made Kabhie Khushi Kabhie Gham, he probably wanted to go back to his roots. He was probably missing his grandparents and wanted to show a picture-perfect family. He had started maturing as a filmmaker from his second film. As a story-writer in Kal Ho Na Ho, he again wanted to get back to his youth and capture the essence of love. But this time he was humourous, and the comic element was much tempered compared to what Johnny Lever and I did in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.

In Kal Ho Na Ho, he also spoke about relationships which are taboo in our society. Gays are part of our society and people should have no qualms about accepting them. In Kabhie Alvida Na Kehna, he takes a close look at relationships to say that they are not perfect. That doesn't mean one should compromise and carry on with the relationship. One should move on in life and keep the dignity of love.

When it comes to on-screen chemistry, Kajol and your name tops the chart in contemporary cinema. Incidentally, Kajol was the first choice for the film, but she declined the offer and Rani Mukherji stepped in. As her good friend, why did you not convince Kajol to do the film?
    Kajol is a very dear friend of mine. I know that she would always be Karan's first choice and she would go out of her way and act in films for me. She is a genuine person; I have known her through the 15 years of my career. But she took this call as it was practically impossible for her to leave her young daughter Nyasa and go off on a long shoot to London. I am sure that she would work with me in future projects.

But then she agreed to do Yash Chopra's Fanaah with Aamir Khan.
    Yes, because the film doesn't require outdoor shooting and she can be with her daughter whenever she wants to. I have asked Karan to write a script that can be filmed in Mumbai, so that she can be with her daughter. (Laughs.)

Magazines and tabloids have often mentioned that you don't share a good rapport with Ajay Devgan.
    I think we are both mature enough to understand what is true and untrue. Ajay is a fantastic person and a brilliant actor. I know him as Kajol's husband, more than a professional actor. Things would have been different if he had worked in the project which Yash Chopra was planning. But that doesn't mean there is an animosity between us. He has never had any problem with me working with Kajol.

You have worked with Abhishek Bachchan for the first time in KANK. What was that experience like?
    I don't have many scenes with Abhishek in this film. I have seen his performance and inshallah, he is doing really well. I knew him when he was not even a star; I know him as Amitji's son. I am also fond of Shweta and her daughter. I used to always tell Jaya aunty that her kids are the most well- mannered in the industry.

Akshay Kumar recently said that 'You don't need to be a Khan to become a superstar.' Your comment.
    I think he is absolutely right. Akshay is a superstar and he is not a Khan. I also believe that God would have been just as kind to me even if I were not born a Khan. I would still have become a superstar. The Khan era started only 15 years ago. Earlier , it used to be the Kumars, Khannas and the Kapoors. Your labour and luck pays off in the industry. I am glad to see Akshay as a superstar today.

You were hounded by the media when you started putting up a multi-storey building behind your house. It was also reported that you are going to gift one floor to your friend Karan Johar and another to Farah Khan, while the other two would be used for official purpose.
    Now that you have asked me, I would like to clear the misconception which people have harboured for long. It is sheer irresponsible journalism which causes me massive headaches after being hounded by government officials.

Why on earth would I gift my own property to Karan and Farah? Never mind that they are my good friends. I am not going to give it away to anyone. It's my property and I am entitled to do whatever I please inside my premises.

You mean to say that you will occupy the entire building?
    Yes, why not. It's my hard-earned money; and if I want I can stay in a 92-storey building. I am Shah Rukh Khan and if I want I can also stay in a Taj Mahal. My house Mannat might look huge from outside, but there are only three bed rooms and now I need to expand my rooms because the kids are growing and they need space. The land behind was lying vacant, so I wanted to utilise it.

It's going to be a four-storey building, with three more bed rooms. The living room will be on one floor and another will be for guests. My wife Gauri will do the interiors. It will all be done in a month.

Your film Paheli has been nominated for the Oscar in the Best Foreign Film Category. How are you promoting the film in USA?
    As a production house, we are extremely conscious about our film. You'll have to understand that I am not just promoting my film there, I am promoting Indian cinema. So I have spent a huge amount of money on the promotion. I have hired the two best foreign agencies to take care of the film's publicity. I am proud of my film because it's made by one of our finest directors, Amol Palekar, and has front-runner actors like Amitabh Bachchan, Rani Mukherjee, Juhi Chawla and if I may add, Shah Rukh Khan.

I am not going to beg for an award, as that's not what we are meant to do. Indian cinema is very prestigious and I will only do whatever is allowed legally.

A few years ago, during the Filmfare Award ceremony, you said that you wanted to buy the award if they were not willing to give you one. Now it seems Shah Rukh is ready to buy an Oscar this year?
    (Smiles.) Not really. Actually a friend of mine had told me that if the organisers ask for money then pay them, they will give you the award. I was too naïve to believe him and carry cash with me. I remember that after winning the Filmfare Award for the first time I said in my speech that 'I am carrying cash in my pocket but I am sure today that you can't purchase an award, you win it only when you deserve it.´

I think the nomination itself is an award. If Paheli gets selected it will be good for me and good for Indian cinema. I have invested everything I got from Paheli.

ou have been planning a biography for a long time now. When do we see it?
    I am not a professional writer. I told my publisher much in advance that I will write when I have time, and I seldom have time. I am an actor first and so I will have to give priority to my acting assignments. I am taking my own time to write the book and once I get enough time to finish the book, I shall inform you first. (Smiles.)

2. josh

josh Member

Part 2

You looked a tad tired in Veer Zaara. Is it true that you have exhausted your energy reserves?
    Let's be practical and accept the fact that I am 40 and I can't look 20. As far as looking exhausted in Veer Zaara is concerned, I think it was a deliberate decision taken by Yashji and me. It is very difficult to play the role of a 35-year-old and then a 55-year-old in the same film.

It is easy for me to play 22 or 32 because I have lived that life, but 55 is something which I am doing from my imagination. Recently someone told me that I look old in KANK stills, and again I have fans who feel that I look 22. So I believe my fans as much as I believe the person who feels I am looking old. I have started playing my age and have no qualms in accepting that actors will age and they should shift to roles pertaining their age.

Do you see yourself working as hard as Amitabh Bachchan even at the age of 65?
    I don't plan my future so much ahead. It would be really foolish to say that I see myself do exactly what Amitji is doing now, because he is an institution and he has set an example for us. Knowing me, I might be playing a 22-year-old Raj or Rahul even at 65! (Laughs.) Or I might be doing something else… releasing my biography.

You will play the role of Amitabh Bachchan in Farhan Akhtar's Don. How many times have you seen the film? Will it be possible to recreate the magic on screen?
    I have grown up watching films like Don, Parvarish and Sholay. I am glad that Farhan is making Don once again. I think he has a different vision, but I am excited to portray the character on screen because it has several punches. In fact, a while back Preity Zinta said that she hasn't seen Don. So you see, we need to revive good old classics for the new generation. I acted in Devdas because I wanted to recreate the magic once again.

Your have received flak from critics whenever you have experimented with different roles like those in Asoka, Swades or Paheli. But they have appreciated your portrayal of Raj or Rahul on screen. Do you think people want to accept you only in a certain mould?
    I really don't know. I have experimented with different kinds of cinema. I feel good when I see a film like Black or Page 3 doing well at the box-office. My film Paheli and Swades got accolades from all over India and abroad. I think as an actor I am flexible and open to roles which I have conviction in. The business of the film depends on various aspects and that should never blur the spirit of an actor.

Aamir Khan, Salman Khan and you have turned 40. Who do you see replacing you on screen and playing a Raj or Rahul in potboilers?
    I don't want to sound pompous, but no one can replace Shah Rukh Khan. You'll have to be original if you want to stay here. I experimented a lot.

I think it's only Shaahid Kapoor who can fit the young lover boy role in Bollywood. John Abraham is very popular too; in fact my kids are huge fans of John. They would love to sit and chat with him for hours. Abhishek Bachchan is also going places, but he has his own style.

3. Rachell

Rachell New Member

:pop2:

Great interview and as usuall great answers :thumb:

Thanks Josh:)

4. Geeta

Geeta Active Member

Josh thanks for sharing yaar!!
    RACHELL DIDI GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK!!! :whoo:

The first part of the interview started not so well.. with asking that stupid question about him and Ajay.. shieshh :mad: But after that it's a fun interview to read!!! And you're right Rachell, lol his answers, oef!!

Do you see yourself working as hard as Amitabh Bachchan even at the age of 65?
    I don't plan my future so much ahead. It would be really foolish to say that I see myself do exactly what Amitji is doing now, because he is an institution and he has set an example for us. Knowing me, I might be playing a 22-year-old Raj or Rahul even at 65! (Laughs.) Or I might be doing something else… releasing my biography.

Ha-ha-ha... I can look in the future ok :eek2: I see... I seee... my grandchildren giving me Shah Rukh Khan's biography as a present :p lol ok stupid joke :eek:

5. Rachell

Rachell New Member

Good to see ya back too sweety :D

LOL!!! hahaha Good one :p

6. Rajshri

Rajshri Well-Known Member

Why on earth would I gift my own property to Karan and Farah? Never mind that they are my good friends. I am not going to give it away to anyone. It's my property and I am entitled to do whatever I please inside my premises.

You mean to say that you will occupy the entire building?
    Yes, why not. It's my hard-earned money; and if I want I can stay in a 92-storey building. I am Shah Rukh Khan and if I want I can also stay in a Taj Mahal.

Is he THA BOMB or what??? :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Psssssst!!! :D Yo Micro Didi!!!!! :kiss:

7. Rachell

Rachell New Member

LOL!!! :kiss:

8. filmifan

filmifan bhangraholic nattu

great interview.

i wish the end of the month would get here with the oscar nominations! he's put so much work into promoting Paheli.

9. K

K I love you Shah Rukh. Staff Member

Thanks a lot Beatrix.:)

Aww, he was so sweet about Akshay.:)

Damn straight he can live where ever he wants and damn straight no one can replace him.:cool:

Good to see you Rachell!:hug: I was just thinking about you today...lambi umar hogi!:p (You will have a long life!)

10. Srkaj #1 fan

Srkaj #1 fan New Member

tfs. good one.

11. Meghna04

Meghna04 ChakDe SRK!

...no one can replace Shah Rukh Khan....

:amen:

Thanks for posting Beatrix!

I love to read his Interviews and his answers on different stupid questions!

...I remember that after winning the Filmfare Award for the first time I said in my speech that 'I am carrying cash in my pocket but I am sure today that you can't purchase an award, you win it only when you deserve it.´...
    :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

12. ayten

ayten New Member

Thanks a lot for posting, dear!

That`s a great interview....

13. kanika

kanika New Member

his answers are just out of this world. thanx a lot

14. khadija

khadija Member

thanks for sharing, his answers are so diplomatic even if the interviewer seems a bit awkward

15. KIT

KIT New Member

thanks for the interview......is that a star or what.....hes the best

16. Astri

Astri New Member

I have known Karan since Duplicate, when he used to come for the costume trials of Juhi Chawla and Sonali Bendre. It was his father's film, so that's when our interaction began. Later when he decided to make Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, his young mind reflected in the script.

:confused: I thought Shahrukh has known Karan since DDLJ.

17. Mazerq_j

Mazerq_j Well-Known Member

thanx josh for sharing :)

A few years ago, during the Filmfare Award ceremony, you said that you wanted to buy the award if they were not willing to give you one. Now it seems Shah Rukh is ready to buy an Oscar this year?
    (Smiles.) Not really. Actually a friend of mine had told me that if the organisers ask for money then pay them, they will give you the award. I was too naïve to believe him and carry cash with me. I remember that after winning the Filmfare Award for the first time I said in my speech that 'I am carrying cash in my pocket but I am sure today that you can't purchase an award, you win it only when you deserve it.´

sooo naive..... and honest too

18. semaay

semaay Senior Member

Re: ‘I am ShahRukh Khan and I can live in a Taj Mahal’

:D :D :D :D :D

I just love to read his interviews!! Thanks for sharing!

19. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

Re: ‘I am ShahRukh Khan and I can live in a Taj Mahal’

Thanx Josh what an interesting interview.I enjoyed it a lot:thumb:

20. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

great interview to read